Manager of Communications (Permanent, Full-time)
Job Type: Full-time permanent
Location: Hybrid position working in Guelph, ON (Canada) and remote/at home
Hiring Range: $66,000 – $82,600
Posting: HRI22 – 006
Application Deadline: September 30, 2022
HRI is a growing national charity dedicated to research that transforms mental health and substance use health services. Through strategic partnerships with Homewood Health and a growing network of renowned scientists, clinicians and researchers, we are innovating, testing new discoveries, and accelerating the process that turns research into solutions for the real world. To learn more about our vision to help people living with mental illness and addiction, visit www.hriresearch.com.
The Manager of Communications is a key member of the HRI team, responsible to grow and align communications activities with HRI’s strategic priorities and development goals. The Manager of Communications is responsible for showcasing the work of the organization through the development and oversight of the HRI Communications Strategy, press releases, newsletter, web development/maintenance, media relations and provides direct supervision to a Digital Media Specialist. The Manager of Communications plays a key role in amplifying HRI’s visibility.
Leadership and Strategic Communications:
- Develops and provides oversight for the master communications plan and nested web and digital media strategies.
- Manages communications budget and sets priorities to achieve HRI’s strategic objectives.
- Supervises a Digital Media Specialist and occasional students.
- Oversees the work of consultants, vendors/webmaster, translators, graphic designers, and others in executing components of the HRI communication plans and strategy.
Writing, editing and production:
- Writes and edits content describing the impact of HRI’s work for newsletters, annual report, website, brochures, research snapshots and press releases.
- Manages production of a full range of communications material and ensures consistency in branding and messaging.
- Works with scientific and program experts to ensure content is accurate and that materials resonate with intended audiences.
- Manages French translation of materials.
Events and Campaigns:
- Supports activities related to the production of HRIreports, knowledge sharing events and workshops.
- Lead role in HRI Talks events through the writing of copy and promotion material with oversight on the promotion plan.
- Liaises with communications counterparts at partner organizations for the execution of events and/or awareness raising on collaborative efforts.
- Writes press releases on behalf of the organization.
- Responds to media inquiries, cultivates and maintains relationships with media.
- Conducts media outreach to national and local media outlets and influencers.
Undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, marketing or a related field. Five to seven years of progressive experience in communications or related field. Experience working within research or health sector, and in the area of mental health is an asset.
Skills and Competencies
A successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Experience developing and executing communication and marketing strategies including social media experience (i.e., creation of content and visuals).
- Superior writing and editing skills, including the ability to develop compelling content and translate complex scientific information into plain language.
- Aptitude and experience in project management including goal setting, work plan development, and budgeting.
- Strong computer literacy skills (i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, WordPress, Mail Chimp, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Canva).
- Proven ability to take initiative and provide leadership and mentorship within a team.
- Effectively manages competing priorities and multiple tasks with strong attention to detail.
- Initiative to acquire new skills and remain current with new developments as required.
- Strong working knowledge of Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) requirements for digital communications.
- Commitment to HRI values of Anti-Oppression Equity and Inclusion and supports related organizational goals and activities.
- Excellent English communication skills, French language skills an asset.
Anti-Oppression, Equity and Inclusion Focus (AOEI)
At HRI, we believe that people and organizations thrive when we embrace the richness of the human experience and invite all voices to contribute to a shared goal. We are passionate about our vision: “No life held back or cut short by mental illness or addiction.” This vision encompasses everyone, including (but not limited to) people who have historically experienced oppression, inequity and exclusion. We are working continuously to move AOEI values into action through our organizational culture, policies, and research activities. HRI is pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) within our recruitment process and beyond. If you require accommodation at any time, please let us know.
HRI requires that staff have received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
How to Apply
HRI invites applicants to submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.